Saturday 7 April 2012

I Do Air - Drama Inspiration

I Do Air is a well-thought out short film, BAFTA nominated, that I first watched back in September's Showroom Shorts hosted by the SYFN.



As a character piece, the film was interesting, keeping the viewer interested and guessing about the choice to be made by the protagonist (should she take the plunge and swim?). In turn, however, I did feel that it carried a simplistic plot, one that seemed as though I had come across it many times before. Although this was perhaps complimentary to the child's perspective the film represented, but I felt that it could have been more complex.

The sentimental feeling at the end of the film was both heartwarming and somewhat tacky; though the ambiguity as to whether or not the child imagined the events was effective, it seemed to be a very convenient ending that excused the filmmakers from something more meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment